Monday update on KM slide removal
January 30, 2020
Here's the Monday update from the Washington State Department of Transportation about efforts to clear the slide blocking SR 4 on KM Mountain:
• On Saturday, high wind and rain delayed tree removal.
• Crews did not work on Sunday.
• On Monday, crews began removing the final four trees and getting the disposal site prepared to haul debris.
• Crews plan to begin debris removal as early as Tuesday, though the area could get another 2-3 inches of rain in the next couple of days. This work is weather dependent, and these are not ideal conditions to do debris removal.
• Crews have brought solar signals out to the site in preparation for opening one lane of the highway, but it is still too soon to tell when that will happen. It all depends on how the slope behaves as workers begin removal of debris – the rain with hamper that.