Wahkiakum courts announce covid-19 protocols
March 19, 2020
Wahkiakum County Courts (Superior Court, District Court, and County Clerk) understand many people are concerned about the COVID-19 health threat. We are working to make good decisions that protect the public and afford access to the courts. We have implemented special procedures to safely accommodate necessary court hearings during this time, in consultation with local public health officials. We will continue to follow guidance from the Wahkiakum County Health Department to help protect people’s health.
Court functions at the courthouse will be available during normal business hours (8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday). However, the following changes to court operations are implemented effective today:
• Jury trials are suspended through April 30, 2020.
• All jurors with current notices to report for jury duty through the end of April are excused.
• In person access to Superior and District Court Clerk’s offices will be by appointment only. Both courts will accept filing of court documents by email or fax (preferred), by mail, or through the large blue drop box located outside the front entry at 64 Main Street. Payments may be made over the phone, online, by mail, or through the drop box.
• All other changes to the Superior Court schedule are attached via its Order No. 2020-1.
• All other changes to the District Court schedule are attached via its Emergency Administrative Order 2-20.
Any further changes to court hours or limiting of hearings will be provided in future press releases. These press releases will be posted on the court websites as soon as possible, and distributed to local media.
Employees and court participants should follow recommendations from Wahkiakum County Public Health and follow direction of court staff while at court facilities:
• Increase handwashing and use of alcohol-based sanitizer
• Cover coughs or sneezes
• Keep distance from others (more than six feet whenever possible)
• Remain home during a respiratory illness
If you are ill, we encourage you to avoid coming to the courthouse. If you have an active case, please work with your lawyer to arrange to appear by phone or reschedule. If you do not have an attorney, or have any questions, please call District Court at 360.795.3461 or Superior Court at 360.795.3558.