County approves inflation adjustment increases in pay


January 26, 2023

Most Wahkiakum County employees will receive an extra 3 percent increase to go along with already scheduled pay increases this year, county commissioners decided Tuesday.

According to the board of commissioners’ proposal, the increases are “in response to extraordinary high inflation.”

Members of the American Federation of State, Municipal and County Employees Union were set to receive a 2 percent wage increase this year; the commission approved another 3 percent increase. The 3 percent increase also applies to members of the Masters, Mates and Pilots Union who work on the county ferry.

Non-bargaining officials such as appointed department heads were also set to receive a 2 percent increase and will receive the additional 3 percent. The resolution will apply to the share of the prosecution attorney’s salary which the county pays.

However, salaries of the county commissioners, auditor, assessor, clerk, sheriff and all salaries set by the Washington Citizen’s Commission are excluded from the increases.

In other business, commissioners authorized the courthouse beautification committee to negotiate a contract for landscaping design with Forrest Mora landscaping, and they accepted a proposal from an engineering firm for design and permitting service for storm damage repairs to three county roads.

Courthouse officials have been dissatisfied with current landscaping. The beautification committee will meet with Mora, one of two landscapers who responded to the county’s request for proposals, to develop a plan that can be put out to bid. A local landscaper, Mora has a bachelor degree in horticulture and 38 years of experience in the business.

Commissioners approved the recommendation of Public Works Director Chuck Beyer to contract with OTAK, Inc., for design and permitting of repairs to storm caused road failures on Salmon Creek, East Valley and Covered Bridge/King Creek roads.

The cost is not to exceed $609,000 for the design and permitting of the projects. The Federal Emergency Management Administration will cover 80 percent of the costs; the county and Washington state emergency management will split the remaining 20 percent.

Design is expected occur in 2023 with construction in 2024.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2024