Established as The Skamokawa Eagle in 1891

Fire marshal recommends inspections, other precautions

According to the National Fire Protection Association, heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires during the winter months, and as the temperature drops outside, homeowners may begin using their wood fireplaces.

Last year in Washington State, 757 fire incidents were caused by heating, which includes fireplaces and chimneys. Total losses were estimated at over eight million dollars.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office recommends that residents follow certain safety tips to help keep your home fire safe this coming winter.

Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from your fireplace or wood stove.

Do not burn paper in your fireplace.

Put any fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.

Have your chimney and fireplace inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.

Keep a metal or glass screen in front of your fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.

Make sure fireplace “on” switches and remote controls are out of the reach of children.

Keep a close eye on children whenever wood is being burned.

Have working smoke alarms in the home, and test them monthly.

Install carbon monoxide alarms outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home.

When cooking, never leave the room and move things that can burn away from the stove.

Get fireplaces and wood stoves inspected annually. Burn only dry, seasoned wood.

If using artificial fire logs, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations; never burn more than one log at a time.

For more information contact the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (360) 596-3929.


Reader Comments(0)