The Wahkiakum County Eagle - Established as The Skamokawa Eagle in 1891

By Diana Zimmerman
Wah. Co. Eagle 

First fishing frenzy derby deemed a great success

 

September 11, 2014

Tom Gartski

Justin Hoven won the youth division with a 15 lb., 6.4 oz. fish.

The first Fall Fishing Frenzy Salmon Derby was organized this year by a group of citizens who are concerned about the youth in our community and wanted to do something to help.

Diana Zimmerman

Bud Mickelsen, left, one of the Fall Fishing Frenzy Derby sponsors and a rod maker, chats with Bim McCoy.

The salmon derby began on August 30 and ended September 7, and the money they raised will go to two local programs. After expenses, 80 percent of the funds go to the GAP program and the other 20 percent will go to the St. James Family Center Mentoring Program.

"We sold 49 adult derby tickets," Sue Kuller said, "and six youth tickets. More than 50 people attended our barbecue on Sunday, but the most successful element of our fundraiser was the raffle."

Each person that bought a ticket was entered into a raffle for custom fishing rods and other donated prizes.

In the derby, Dave Van Dorn won the biggest salmon category with 22 lb., 6.4 oz. fish. Debbie Richards took second in that category and first in the women's division with a 22 lb., 3.2 oz. fish. Justin Hoven won the youth division with a 15 lb., 6.4 oz. fish.

"The programs we are supporting are always in need," Kuller said. She hopes to encourage others to donate when they can.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 02/17/2020 21:46